Would you like to share the pain at the pump?
You may be in luck!
Pinal County government is now partnering with Valley Metro and other organizations to bring an online rideshare matching system to local commuters.
The site is www.sharetheride.com.
"With the price of gas going up," said Pinal County Travel Reduction Coordinator Marie Frazier, "we have had a lot of people inquire about van pools and car pools. The interest has skyrocketed in the past few months. This site will help drivers find someone in their area who is going to the same location and match them up for a car pool."
The site is very simple to use. A person seeking out a potential car pool simply logs in to search their area to see if another driver is looking as well.
The Travel Reduction Program is dedicated to reducing the number of vehicles on the road, thereby reducing the amount of pollution coming from cars. The program is reaching out to other public agencies and private businesses.
"The aim of the travel reduction program goes beyond Pinal County government employees," Frazier said. "We have been partnering with local government agencies and private businesses to encourage their participation in reducing vehicles on our roads. Employees of the Department of Corrections, Corrections Corporation of America, and the City of Florence participate in van pool programs."
The Rideshare site is free to use.
- A year ago in the East Valley, the average price for a gallon of unleaded gas was $3.01. In the Tucson area, it was $3.00 a gallon.
- For an average of gas prices statewide go to www.fuelgaugereport.com
- To increase fuel efficiency: change your air filter twice a year (a dirty air filter increases fuel consumption).
- Keep your tires inflated to the recommended pressure.
- Maintain a steady speed on the road (avoid quick starts and stops).
- Lighten up the load in your vehicle if possible.